American Ballet Competition (ABC), in collaboration with professional companies and schools, awards apprenticeships, traineeships and scholarships for the academic school year and summer intensives. Traineeships and scholarships are awarded by representatives of the awarding company or school or, at their request, by the ABC jury. Second companies and traineeships offer the opportunity to perform with the awarding company.Some positions offer stipends or performance payments.
All Categories and Divisions compete for FIRST, SECOND and THIRD PLACE AWARDS.
Scholarships and Traineeships awarded through the American Ballet Competition in the past have included:
- Academy of Colorado Ballet
- Colorado Ballet Studio Company
- Atlanta Ballet’s Center for Dance Education
- Ballet Austin II
- Ballet Austin Academy
- Ballet West
- Boston Ballet School
- Bournonville at Biarritz, France
- Bournonville with the Masters;
- Ecole Superieure de Ballet Contemporain, Quebec, Canada
- Imagine Ballet Theatre
- Interlochen Arts Academy
- Interlochen Arts Summer Camp
- Jeune Ballet du Quebec, Canada
- Joffrey Ballet School, NY
- Milwaukee Ballet II
- Milwaukee Ballet School
- Missouri Ballet Theatre Traineeship
- Orlando Ballet II
- Orlando Ballet School
- The School at Jacob’s Pillow
- The Washington School of Ballet, D.C.
- Victor Ullate Ballet, Madrid, Spain
- Virginia School of the Arts
- Walnut Hill School for the Arts Director’s Scholarship
- Walnut Hill Summer Dance Scholarship
Traineeships and scholarships may also be awarded to contestants not finishing in one of the top award categories.
Recipients of traineeships and scholarships are responsible for contacting and making all arrangements directly with the awarding school or company. If unable to accept the award, the recipient must communicate that in a timely and courteous manner. Some schools may extend summer scholarships to the next year and may require recipient to be reevaluated.